Identifying barriers and opportunities to complete high-quality broadband infrastructure deployment to all residents and businesses, especially in unserved and underserved communities.
03/30/22 Infrastructure Deployment Taskforce Meeting
The Infrastructure Task Force convened on March 30, 2022 and included representatives across multiple sectors, with an extensive discussion by Taskforce members on the status of several existing, ongoing projects, including the L.A. County ISD Request for Statement of Qualifications (RFSQ) Community Wireless Networks, the L.A. County Wireless Facility Ordinance, the GoldenStateNet’s (GSN) collaboration on the Middle Mile Broadband Initiative (MMBI) update on Collaboration on 18 initial projects route and the Los Angeles Overview Packet, which maps out these projects in LA. County.
Taskforce members discussed the potential of GoldenStateNet purchasing Indefeasible Right of Use (IRU) dark fiber leases on existing fiber optic cable routes to create its proposed middle-mile network. Taskforce members discussed if this was a preferable option with some members voicing the concern that there should be strict parameters on the use of public dollars to lease from private entities.
There also were updates by Taskforce members on undersea fiber projects, Wi-Fi in all City of Pasadena public parks, and projects in Palmdale.
- LAEDC 88 Cities Summit: Reimagining the Future of Cities: https://laedc.org/88cities2022/
- San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments Local Agency Technical Assistance (LATA) Grant Briefing: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd6LliUmgxOrws0KDNVE7bCAaSYG54VgCCWxqFB1N2QXSf1QA/viewform
- L.A. County ISD Request for Statement of Qualifications (RFSQ) Community Wireless Networks: https://camisvr.co.la.ca.us/LACoBids/BidDetail/BidDetailStart?BidDocIDI=43676
- Making the most of existing infrastructure and resources to accelerate digital equity: http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bos/bc/1113566_UtilizingExistingInfrastructureandResourcestoAccelerateDigitalEquity9-30-21.pdf
- L.A. County wireless facility ordinances: https://planning.lacounty.gov/wireless
- Evidence from around the country to support the hybrid models. UTOPIA (Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure Agency) Fiber is a group of 11 Utah cities that joined together in 2004 to build, deploy, and operate a fiber to the home (FTTH) network to every business and household within their communities: https://www.utopiafiber.com/
- Digital Equity grants: https://broadbandusa.ntia.doc.gov/digital-equity-programs
More About This
Updated: Apr 12